The Tesla Model 3 is now for sale and on the road! (In California and a few other states as of this writing.)
The first iterations were “delivered” to a captive audience at the world headquarters in Mountain View, California, at the end of July 2017.
Not only is the car finally in production but we finally have finalized specs for the Baby T: Starting with size, the Model 3 is 184.8 inches in overall length compared with 196 inches for the Model S, and a 113.2-inch wheelbase compared with 116.5 inches for the Model S.
Power in the Baby T is down as well but definitely no slouch. Tesla says the Model 3 will get to 60 miles per hour in 5.1 or 5.6 seconds (depending on battery size). Speaking of which, battery size is now in range, rather than kilowatt hours, of either 220 or 320 miles (standard and long range, respectively).
Speaking of changes…totally free, unlimited Supercharging is out of the question for all Teslas that were purchased after January 1, 2017 (unless you purchased the vehicle using another owner’s referral, or paid a large, one-time fee). What those owners do get is annual “credits” that equate to around 1000 miles of free supercharging. For the new Model 3 owner, though, it seems as though those credits are not in play as, according to the Tesla website, Model 3 Supercharging is “pay per use”.
So the Model 3 definitely looks like a Tesla but it has a different look with almost a smile on its face but it’s definitely not a hatchback, which is a bummer since the trunk opening isn’t as big as the hatch on the Model S.
Another notable difference between the Model S and Model 3 is the center touchscreen in the Model 3. It’s the instrument panel/HVAC/radio/everything screen that will take some people a while to get used to.
Here’s all the specs currently from the Tesla website:
- Automatic emergency braking and collision avoidance
- Eight airbags
- Electronic stability and traction control
- 15″ touchscreen with onboard maps & navigation
- Wi-Fi and LTE internet connectivity
- Keyless entry and remote climate control with app
- Voice activated controls
- 60/40 split folding rear seats
- 15” touchscreen display
- Dual zone climate control system
- FM/Internet streaming radio
- Textile seating
- Center console with open storage and two USB ports
- Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs
- 12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles
- Premium audio system with more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer
- Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
- Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
- LED fog lamps
- Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones
- 4 year, 50,000 mile limited vehicle warranty
- 8 year, 100,000 mile battery warranty (Standard)
- 8 year, 120,000 mile battery warranty (Long Range)
Me? I’m still waiting for the Tesla Minibus!
Thanks for reading!
…See You Down The Road!